Monday, April 09, 2007

Hello, Hello Again: Doo-Wop To It


In my endless study of pop music I have become somewhat disenchanted with the state of things. Don’t get me wrong, I love me some Timberlake and Timbaland colab but at the moment I have become more interested in where things came from. So back and back I have traveled, through decades long forgotten, to music that many scoff at or have an alienating, pretentious affection towards. Hopefully I don’t fall in to either category but I have just become all up and giddy over doo-wop in the last short while.

In my excitement to share some of these “vocal based rhythm and blues tunes” with others I came across the promising ears of my father. As I played him “Sh-boom” by the Chords his eyes lit up as I could see him be transported back to those dance hall days where the jukeboxes played wax and the girls crackled with crinoline. It was amazing to watch my father, whose lack of musical interest is proven by his ineptitude to fix his broken car radio after three years and prominent, yet unplayed, Celine Dion collection, awaken to the sounds of his past. The smile that crept over his face as he mouthed the words brought upon a nostalgic trip into his years of innocence. It all made me realize that this music, though our generation may be cut off from fully understanding its worth, meant as much to the kids back then as Timbaland or T-Lake does today.

[mp3] The ChordsSh-boom
[mp3] The PlattersOnly You (And You Alone)
[mp3] The Wrens(Will You) Come Back My Love

NOTE: The above posted song by The Wrens is a different Wrens than the indie rock grandfathers that we all have come to love. Just pointing it out to those of you who think you are getting a new Wrens song.


Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Lux said...

Thanks for this...thought I was a loner in Doo-Wop FanLand.

- Sarah

5:05 PM  
Blogger English said...

Everyone should buy the American Graffiti soundtrack.

6:09 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

You like Timberlake?

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya, I do like Timberlake...a lot.

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Chad said...

Great post - glad to see I'm not the only doo-wop fan around. Some of the songs from that era just floor me every time.

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home