Tuesday, February 06, 2007

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Sunday afternoon. Church clothes. I loosen my tie and lay down on the couch as the organ rises through the speakers beside me. The light is low in my small living room; the blinds fencing the orange rays of the setting sun. I am only recently alone on this Sabbath, as I have spent the day within a congregation of reverent, cheery faces. And now I find myself in the interim between the easy, reclined Sunday afternoon and the Sunday evening, the calm before the storm of Monday.

I somehow have placed myself in the perfect time period to listen to the Minor Canon’s debut album No Good Deed Goes Unpunished. My outfit, my mood, and the setting sun are all perfect backdrops for the seven-piece, horn tinged melancholy that the Minor Canon shell out. My
first interaction with the Minor Canon came during their final crashing moments of their set opening for Swedish heartbreaker, Jose Gonzalez. The two-drum attack that I encountered on that night has turned out to be a minority role in the bands smoky barroom, soul song but a welcome addition whenever the band decides to let go. But most welcoming is the bands decision to leave behind the Silverlake sound that surrounds them and head for the old time character that has always hid within the shadows of the limelight. It might be just me but humility is damn comforting to listen to at moments like these.

[www] the Minor CanonA False Start
[www] the Minor CanonIt Never Was

02/15/07 – the Echo
02/20/07 – Sea Level Records (Record Release Show)

Look for No Good Deed Goes Unpunished at all fine retailers come February 20th.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home