Thursday, January 25, 2007

Getting back on the ‘Of Montreal’ Bandwagon

I fell off the Of Montreal bandwagon a while ago. It seemed like I was continually being pushed off that crowded box of wood. I would run and run to try and make it back on but to no avail. With a back catalog that runs twelve years long it seemed a little too much to handle. But to be honest, it was just a little too crowded in that boxcar for me to take it seriously.

But with fresh ears taking in Of Montreal’s latest effort, Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer? it was almost as if I had forgotten all the bad experiences and suppressed the visions of meatheads screaming out steak products at their shows. It was as if I had happened upon that beacon of hope floating upon the flooding sea of backwash bad blog bands that had been hitting me like tidal wave shore break day after day after day.

Hissing Fauna reeks with infectiousness from first sound clip. A child’s sing along to strum is the inviting call into the rabbit hole towards the wacky world of Kevin Barnes. The robot rock, bubblegum, steakhouse jingle sound is laced with the sweetest of ear candy presented by the friendliest of strangers, a stranger that I have gotten into the car with and driven around the block a few times. Part psychedelic heartbreak recovery with a dash of Beatles tribute, Hissing Fauna is as intriguing as it replayable.

[www] Of MontrealSuffer For Fashion
[www]
Of MontrealSink The Seine

1 Comments:

Blogger Will said...

I confess that this is my first ride on the bandwagon. Revisiting their previous work, however, I like it quite a bit. I much prefer this glam-y, indie dance floor stuff, though, to the indiepop.

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home