Friday, February 09, 2007

Frog Eyes Shed Tears

I need to get something off my chest. I was a Sunset Rubdown fan before I ever heard a Frog Eyes song. In my eyes, Spencer Krug was this master songwriter who had found a completely unique sound. Then I heard The Folded Palm. I couldn't believe how much of Krug's sound came from his work with Carey Mercer. I'm not calling plagiarism on Krug (he writes music in the band), but it did make me want to hear more Frog Eyes. It also brought me to the understanding that Carey Mercer should be admitted into Canadian indie-music Royalty.

I first heard "Bushels" during the Frog Eyes Daytrotter Session (love these guys), and the performance encompassed every element of Frog Eyes into one nine minute song. Now having the recorded version, it's obvious they really enjoyed the Daytrotter performance. The song structure has remained intact, and if anything the jams have been extended. The song floats through several movements that all feel like fragments of a great song. Mercer continues his shock and awe delivery, which always makes me smile, cringe and dance simultaneously.

Favorite part of the song:

London, oh you're cold
but we've got to last

Make sure to pick up a copy of Tears of the Valedictorian when it drops (a long time from now) on May 1st.

Tears of the Valedictorian

1 Idle Songs
2 Caravan Breakers, They Prey on the Weak and the Old
3 "Stockades"
4 Reform the Countryside
5 The Policy Merchant, the Silver Bay
6 Evil Energy, the Ill Twin of...
7 ...Eagle Energy
8 Bushels
9 My Boats They Go

[www] Frog Eyes - Bushels

[www] Frog Eyes - Bushels (Daytrotter Session)

Tour dates:

3/16 - Austin, TX - SXSW Merge / Absolutely Kosher Day Party at Pok-e-Jo’s
3/17 - Austin, TX - SXSW Absolutely Kosher showcase
4/14 - Victoria, BC - Logan‘s Pub
5/01 - Seattle, WA - Crocodile
5/04 - San Francisco, CA - Bottom of the Hill
5/05 - Los Angeles, CA - The Echo
5/10 - Denton, TX - Rubber Gloves
5/11 - Austin, TX - Emo‘s
5/12 - Houston, TX - Proletariat
5/14 - Atlanta, GA - Drunken Unicorn
5/15 - Chapel Hill, NC - Local 506
5/16 - Washington, DC - Rock and Roll Hotel
5/17 - Philadelphia, PA - Johnny Brenda‘s
5/18 - New York, NY - Mercury Lounge
5/20 - Boston, MA - Middle East
5/22 - Montreal, QC - La Sala Rossa
5/24 - Toronto, ON - Sneaky Dee’s
5/25 - Cleveland, OH - Beachland Ballroom
5/27 - Chicago, IL - Schubas

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home