Monday, July 31, 2006

Pitchfork Opening Party w/ Sunset Rubdown, Voxtrot, the Joggers @ Metro

Vacations are always good and yet they hardly ever turn out to be vacations. Our schedule over this past weekend made our average lives feel laidback. Of course, its no secret that when you combine some of the best music acts of the moment with humidity, heat, sweat, hot dogs, deep dish, and tragically un-hip youth, you are going to have some major work on your hands.

It seems that there was a mix up with the travel agency, because I don’t remember ordering my weekend with extra heat. Isn’t that the main reason to get away from LA at this time of year? Fortunately, our first extravaganza of the weekend took place in the shade as we scored some wicked good seats to the Cubs/Cards game at Wrigley Field (thanks Lauren). Our once a decade observation of America’s favorite pastime, and filling up on some of Girodano’s famous stuffed crust pizza post-game was really only a precursor to our date with Ryan Schrieber at the Pitchfork Festival Opening Night Party.


After standing in line behind Mr. Schreiber outside the Metro (he has to stand in line at his own party?), we promptly arrived in time to catch the Joggers. It’s always difficult to fully appreciate a band that you have heard very little of. Yet, the magic that encompasses great bands can still be conveyed through music that you aren’t already acquainted with. The Joggers might not be that band, but their promises seemed a little more grounded than their bill-mates, Voxtrot.

It’s really hard to not like Voxtrot. They have a lot of ingredients for success: the looks, the sound, the hooks, the voice, etc... but for some reason I’m not completely buying it. Their pop-goes-indie sometimes comes off a little too TRL, and their pogo-ing made me feel like I was in the wrong venue. Of course, their throw back melodies, McCartney bassist, and “prettiness” can’t be seen as a lost cause when placed in perspective with their stand out tracks like “Mothers, Sisters, Daughters & Wives.” It’s just scary what could happen to these guys given a shine selling producer, and label looking to turn them into the next Fall Out Boy.

All these inconsequential critical thoughts of these opening bands were lost when Sunset Rubdown’s Spencer Krug began strumming through the opening song of the set. I wish I had a copy of this tune because it was the highlight of the evening. Even after the Rubdown played through beefed up highlights “Stadiums and Shrines,” and an extended take of “Three Colours” off the EP, all I could think about was how great their first track was. After seeing the Krug clan at their first stop on their tour back in early May, it is amazing to see how tight and controlled the band has become. The current state of Sunset Rubdown, as portrayed through their live performance, is sure to quell any thoughts that this is just a toned down Wolf Parade, and further solidifies Krug as one of the premiere songwriters of this generation.

[mp3] Sunset RubdownThree Colours
[mp3] Sunset RubdownStadium and Shrines
[mp3] Voxtrot - Mothers, Sisters, Daughters & Wives
[mp3] The JoggersEra Prison

Stay tuned for the Content’s recap of day one and two of the Pitchfork Music Festival in the coming days.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ate so much Girodano's I vomitted... But then I was ready to continue eating more Girodano's.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Will said...

Let my jealous feelings begin ... I've just recently gotten into Voxtrot and find their music undeniably catchy. I would say the only thing hurting would maybe be sounding way too close to Belle and Sebastian at points. Other than that, I hope they don't turn out to be the next Fall Out Boy ... or Killers, for that matter.

3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ate so much Girodano's that it is still passing through my system (ewwww). At first I was turned off by it, that was until I took a bite. Sooooo good.

About the Voxtrot thing, I don't want it to come off that I think they are bad or anything just that I think they are riding a fine line. Pogo-ing just makes me feel awkward no matter who is doing it. I remember watching the Jeff Buckley DVD at the Metro and getting freaked out when he started doing it. I enjoyed it but I guess there was a bad aftertaste or something.

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

KING, what the HECK is "pogo-ing"? I think RC needs to add a glossary of cool and catchy (elitist) musical terms for all the pawns and peeons of the world. :~)

5:37 PM  
Blogger BWH999 said...

"pogo-ing" is when a singer jumps up and down with his feet close together and his hands at his side. Reference Blink 182 and other teen pop punk.

6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE that move! Sweeeeeetttt

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can anyone of you blog czars tell me what BWH999 stands for?

10:16 AM  
Blogger BWH999 said...

NO!

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only if you tell us what Latss means.

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love and the special sauce, duh! :~)

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He doesn't "pogo." He has a hard time standing still...at any time. And while Ramesh did goto school for two years in Glasgow...I can even begin to see how you find hints of Belle and Sebastian.

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still a pogo.

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home