Thursday, August 30, 2007

Dave Brubeck @ The Hollywood Bowl



I cannot comprehend how one appendage can be so nimble, while others begin to fail. Dave Brubeck steadied himself on the shoulders of his quartet walking to his piano on stage, but then sat down and played with hands as precise and quick as when his records were first cut.

These are men in their 80’s, and as they took to their instruments there was no contesting their “cool.” They've been making music twice as long as we have been listening. It should come as no surprise they do so, so perfectly.



I wish I had video of Brubeck bassist, Michael Moore’s solos. His eyes closed, head down close to the neck of his upright; dancing his gray goatee back and forth as he mashed and slid over its strings. The quartet sounded flawless. Fresh and unrehearsed, I can only imagine the years of practice and memory that have gone into their harmonies and improvised choruses.

The original West Coast sound on a summer west coast night.

[mp3] Dave BrubeckTake Five

ed: Special thanks to Patrick Woodward, for the only pictures of the event on the internet.

5 Comments:

Blogger Pierre said...

I'm extremely jealous. You saw Gods among men.

4:35 PM  
Blogger Ron Rold said...

Although I have listened to this all my life. I still love it!

It is so far beyond its time, and even today's time. DB, WAS a God amoung men.

6:55 PM  
Blogger Ron Rold said...

I am sorry to hit this twice so fast, but I am looking for somebody.

His stage name was Jimmy Lord, he played with the likes of: Fats Waller, Benny Goodman, Pee Wee Russell, Billy Banks and others. Even had his own band for awhile.

He was born in 1906 and died 30 years later, so it was a short career. Mostly Chi town, but did some traveling.

Any info would be appreciated, I will post my email, qtrtilldawn@hotmail.com because anybody that comes here is cool.

I'm gonna play this one more time.

Thanks, and also thanks for this site, Ron.

7:11 PM  
Blogger vuong said...

リノベーション
リノベーション
リノベーション
リノベーション
リノベーション
リノベーション
リノベーション
リノベーション
リノベーション
リノベーション
ビジネス英会話
英文 書き方
英語塾
社会人入試
英語 転職
医療脱毛

派遣会社
パチンコ求人
販売管理
債務整理 新宿
過払い 渋谷
液晶 テレビ 32
先物 比較
先物 比較
先物 比較
先物 比較

4:11 AM  
Anonymous buy kamagra said...

I know this man is very talented but I think he should giving opportunity to young people because everybody deserves the applauses too.

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home