Monday, May 14, 2007

Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare

The Arctic Monkeys were in the trenches, fighting off the hype machine, before their debut album had even hit the shelves. How does one get the chance to ride such a wave of press? Simple: write an insanely contagious dance hit and let the DJs do the rest – it also helps to be around 19 or 20 and English.

To be honest, I never actually got past “I Bet You Look Good on the Dance Floor.” The time between that song entering my ear canals, and the subsequent LP being released was a lifetime, and like a true digital age, musical ADD blogger, when the album finally arrived - I’d lost interest in the band. I had nothing against The Arctic Monkeys, and probably would have loved the album; yet, as fate would have it, our paths never crossed.

Speeding ahead to the release of Favourite Worst Nightmare, my interest is once again heightened by the Monkey’s mature and decisive sophomore effort. Rather than over think the all too terrifying second musical step, the four piece gives the jitters the middle finger and starts “Brainstorm” with an instantaneous blast of noise. This unchecked energy holds strong through “D is for Dangerous;” however, the middle of the album finds Alex Turner introspectively musing on love. The first verse of “Balaclava” has Alex doing his best Pete Doherty impression, and I mean that in the best way possible. By the time we reach “Only Ones Who Know,” the minimal arrangements leave Turner crooning over the death of “true romance.” While I love the diversity, I couldn’t help but throw up a little fist pump during the build of “This House is A Circus.”

The Arctic Monkeys have the gift of making people dance., and few bands achieve such a connection with their audience. Consequently, I think that the moments of house crushing bass riffs constitute the highlights off the LP. Then again I enjoyed just about every moment of the album - so croon away boys.

[mp3] Arctic Monkeys - Balaclava

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you... they have some great songs but for whatever reason I didn't pay too much attention.

Music's worth it tho' thanks for the post.

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is a special site with this album!

5:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home