Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Concert Pirates: Xiu Xiu @ The Troubadour

I can't say I've ever recommended a Xiu Xiu LP to any of my immediate friends. There's just no easy way to introduce Jamie Stewart's music to the world. (Partly) because of this, it's taken me several years to make it out to a Xiu Xiu concert. Sunset Rubdown on the other hand is almost universally likable, so it was easy to find company to their joint show at the Troubadour. If you haven't heard our recordings of Mr. Krug's set - check it out here.

Unfortunately, the subtleties of Xiu Xiu's set are missed in these recordings unless you listen wearing headphones. I think the recordings capture the dark beauty of Jamie's music, but the sparser tracks were almost unlistenable. During the concert, I was blown away most by the precise and often explosive way Xiu Xiu delivers each note - something that does come across in these live tracks. I left thrilled to have been a part of the evening, but regretting all the missed opportunities to see them play in the past.

Partial Tracklist:

[mp3]
Xiu Xiu - Sad Pony Guerilla Girl
[mp3] Xiu Xiu - Bishop, CA

[mp3] Xiu Xiu - I Broke Up

[mp3] Xiu Xiu - Crank Heart

[mp3] Xiu Xiu - Boy Soprano

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

xiu xiu was really really really intense. i thought they were amazing, but probably hard for a lot of people to appreciate all of their "experimental"-ness. damn, thanks for those mp3s.

1:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home