Tuesday, January 02, 2007

The Dog of the Sea sings sweetly

This past year made me realize that I love pop music. I want to live inside Brian Wilson’s good ear and spend the night next to the loaded gun of Phil Spector. Nothing would be more satisfying than sitting in on the vocal recordings of “God Only Knows” or watching Camera Obscura play their abandoned trash can drums while recording Let’s Get Out Of This Country. The Little Ones helped me tap my feet for six straight months in ’06 and those good pop vibrations just keep on coming.

With my yearlong infatuation with pop it is no wonder that I would inevitably be introduced to the chamber pop simplicity of El Perro Del Mar. The echo chamber harmonies atop acoustic strummings are enough to transport anyone back a few decades to where pop actually lived a good, clean life. The lingering hope that lies between the melancholic sounds that El Perro Del Mar emits throughout her self-titled debut are perfect for anyone that is still recovering from their New Year’s romp or for those still trying to write out those New Year resolutions.

Shoobie doo wah wah.

[mp3] El Perro Del MarCandy
[mp3] El Perro Del MarGod Knows (You Gotta Give To Get)

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Yeah I've been enjoying the abundance of indie pop that's out there too - it's definitely been a good year for that.

Nice find btw... oh, and I got the Horse Feathers album - really good stuff. Check out Alela Diane when you get a chance - I should have the post up tonight or so - really good country-folk stuff.

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home