Friday, September 08, 2006

The Art of the Album (Part 2)

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions on the first part of this list. Obviously I could keep naming albums for a long time, but for now I'm just leaving it at this. At first glance this list may seem a bit spotty; however, this is my own personal story of albums that affected me. This is different for everyone, and I'd love to hear more of your suggestions. For now I hope you enjoy part 2 of list.

Tool Aenima
Aenima is where it all started for me, and I thus it has a spot on this list. The ever changing time signatures, the dark brooding guitars, talk of over consumption and numbness of the soul... perfect for any highschool kid.

[mp3] Tool - H









Bright Eyes Lifted or The Story is in the Soil, Keep Your Ear to the Ground
Bright Eyes has a permanent spot in my music catalog, and Lifted is the album that solidified this decision. It's easily the most ambitious indie album of the 2000's. The cd design alone seems impossibly detailed for a small label like Saddle Creek. However, the only aspect that truly matters is the music, and it sails through the roof. Conor is a beautiful storyteller, which is the basic concept of the album. It's also an album about friendship and community. This theme runs not only through Conor's lyrics, but also in the physical production of the album.

[mp3] Bright Eyes - Bowl of Oranges



Madvillian Madvilliany
Madvilliany is my wild card in a way. It's an amazing, playful album that united two great talents (MF DOOM and Mad Lib), and creates a great narrative. MF DOOM is a pop culture monster. He absorbs the current state of everything, and spits it right back at you in precise rhymes.

[mp3] Madvillian - Strange Ways







Tom Waits Alice
Let me first state that I am in the process of writing a rather massive Tom Waits retrospective. That being said, I wasn't planning on adding Alice to this list; however, I just couldn't resist. Watch out for the Waits post. For now I'm keeping my mouth shut. Download the song, pour some dark liquor, close your eyes and press play.

[mp3] Tom Waits - Alice





Additional albums:

Bonnie Prince Billy I See A Darkness (Visit the amazing Day Trotter to get 4 great live songs)
The Unicorns Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone (I know this band is no more, but we still have Islands)
The Blood Brothers Burn Piano Island, Burn

1 Comments:

Blogger Will said...

All quality choices and it seems like there have been quite a few good ones this year. I actually think there may be a bit of a backlash to all of this digital single consumption.

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home