Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Pitchfork in the Park - Day 1

Pitchfork Day 1 started out how all events should - by us getting lost. Blue, green, pink... the Russian roulette of L trains. Once we lost that game a few times, we settled for a cab ride, and all was well.

Union Park is an strange place to organize a festival, and we discovered the highs and lows very quickly. The pros: fairly small, lots of shade and can't miss any performances. The cons: being in the front at one show means being in the back for the next, and lots of muted sound. So that is basically our take on the dynamics of the day. What about the music you say?


Man Man is the savior of live music, and I'm John the Baptist preaching the word. I'd say that their placement on the bill was 25% of the reason I flew to Chicago, and it was worth every penny. In every interview I've read, Man Man stresses the importance of live shows, and current artists' lack of creativity or care while on stage. They knew we wanted a show, and they delivered - with war paint, feathers and madness.

To tell you the truth, the rest of the day was kind of a blur. We stayed for Band of Horses, Mountain Goats, Destroyer and Art Brut; however, nothing really stood out. I found myself wondering if festivals just don't do it for me, but then I think back to Coachella, and know I will be there next year. I'm not trying to compare Pitchfork's gathering at Union Park with the epic scope of Coachella. I understand what a budget is. I loved the smaller feel, unbelievable ticket price and cheap waters at Pitchfork; yet, the music display just didn't add up for me.

We did get in some great freestyle walking though...



[mp3] Man Man - Zebra
[mp3] Art Brut - My Little Brother (acoustic)
[mp3] Mountain Goats - Baboon

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG...I never knew the KING was a bearded monster! AWWWWWWWWW

P.S. I'm sure the ladies love the tickler. hehe

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about festivals - it all starts sounding the same, and then you're not really appreciating the music anymore.

12:07 PM  
Blogger BWH999 said...

Well said.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Will said...

I gotta see me some Man Man. I agree - festivals are a mixed bag. I'm pretty used to seeing indie rock indoors as well. Coachella is pretty amazing from my one experience.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Will said...

Stella free style walking, as well.

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who cares about Man Man or Men Men and free style walking, whatever, all I want to see is more shots of the KING's mustachio bashio mexistache!

5:39 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Hanging with the hippies can be pretty fun though - those are worth going to.

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wait for some of the outtakes from this weekend (outtake = funny). There is some major mustachio.

And you should definately care about Man Man and freestyle walking. Both are highly underrated and are viable forces in the Content's war on humidity (thank God LA's weather has leveled off).

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

KING, I LOVE YOUR LADY MAGIC. I LOVE YOU UNTIL ALL THE LOVE COME OUT, 'TIL YOU A HUSK OF PITY IN A LONE SPINNING MARBLE THAT TICKLES OTHER CHEEKS WITH CASCADING WATER, LONG AFTER YOUR LAST SUNSET.

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home