Monday, November 13, 2006

Eternal Sunshine for the Studying Mind – a mixtape for the student

For those of you that don’t know, I am a student at UCLA. It seems like my life as an undergrad is a never-ending battle, something that I find no comfort in with the horror stories I hear of life after the final bell and my fancy square hat is thrown in the air. But ever since beginning my college curriculum I have found comfort in the music I am able to listen to while I am studying.

Of course, I have always been mighty picky of the type of music that I could listen to while hitting the books. Lyrics are distracting, anything too poppy gets me humming, and something sad takes all the hope away that any successful work will be accomplished.

Since the rise of the iPod, our generation has grown more and more talented at soundtracking our lives with an infinite mixtape for all our activities. The Content is far from innocent in this regard (see the ‘Go Out and Vote' mixtape, the ‘Back to School Love Story’, and our beloved ‘2006 Summer Mixtape’) and yet this little activity is a lot more prevalent in our individual lives than it appears here on our site. Hence, the following mixtape, a collection of hopeful, progressive ambience that will have you nodding your head in appreciation as you work toward your harshest of deadlines.

Good luck, you may begin.

[mp3] The Album LeafThe Outer Banks
[mp3] Explosions In The SkyThe Only Moment We Were Alone
[mp3] Mogwai2 Rights Make 1 Wrong
[mp3] The BooksTokyo
[mp3] AminaFjarskanistan

Note: Since all these albums are really great, please go and support these artists and the wonderful sonic structures that they create. This is also a good time to notice that
on November 21st, eMusic will be downgrading the amount of downloads available with each subscription as follows:
  • eMusic Basic - 30 downloads per month (formerly 40)
  • eMusic Plus - 50 per month (formerly 65)
  • eMusic Premium - 75 downloads per month (formerly 90)
If you join eMusic before the 21st of this month, as a valued customer your current amount of downloads per month will remain the same. Basically, if you want to get more bang for your buck, then go and join eMusic right now. If you are already a member, upgrade. Seriously, it really doesn’t get any better than this (if you have a conscience).

11 Comments:

Blogger Will said...

I think it was Saddle Creek records and the last Blur album that got me through my college years. Don't know what I would've done without music. Thanks for another solid mix.

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great playlist, just what I was in the mood for.
You've made my study day complete!

Thanks for that.

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay!

1:07 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

You guys going to Explosions tonight?

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish, totally slacked on getting our tickets. Have fun.

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All of the newer files (within the last two weeks) should work fine (I just checked them also). Anything older got wiped out when EZarchive decided to "upgrade" and ruin all our fun. We are using a different host at the moment and that will change in the next month also. Basically, this site isn't going to be a place for permanent host for mp3s but a "get em while you can." Sorry if this doesn't work for you but we really can't have songs up forever due to bandwidth, ethics, etc.

12:23 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Doode... the concert was freaking amazing. They rocked it. Too bad I forgot my camera or else I would have been able to take some pictures to go along with the review.

But anyways, we still gotta get together sometime one of these days!

10:48 AM  
Blogger BWH999 said...

Yeah they were really amazing at the Troubadour. Sorry for the delays. Life's been crazy busy. We'll find some time though.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Ah no worries man - that's the nature of life, isn't it? ;)

http://monopedilos.com/staticpages/index.php/earthsuit_troms - this was the band that MuteMath came out of - you might like it. This album pretty much never saw the light of day - sold about 1000 copies and that was it, and all of that at shows.

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must say that this couldn't have come across my screen at a better time....I am in the midst of paper-writing fury. I'll definately give these a listen. thank-you.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Oh my gosh - I just heard the track by Amina, and it's amazing! I'm getting the EP right now!

2:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home