Tuesday, October 24, 2006

After the crossroads with Peter Bjorn and John

Pop music gets a bad rap, and for the most part it is much deserved. Not only is pop music the simplest in form, it might also be the easiest genre of music to destroy. It is no wonder that so many of us get the taste of curdled mayonnaise water, in the back of our throats, when all those three chord, acoustic guitar slingers on Mr. Braff’s soundtracks attack our poor women’s hearts. It’s no wonder that artists are fleeing the modern pop song, for the pop foundations of years past. I’m talking about a retreat back to Phil Spector era heartache, when the Beatles sang stories for love struck teens trapped in their pubescent bodies, and lived off their parents’ dimes.

Yet, what Peter Bjorn & John have done on their wonderful new full-length, Writer’s Block, is take the old, familiar pop song from your grandparents’ jukebox, and mature it with questions about previous, present, and future lives. The lovesick puppy love has passed away and
the questions about that ring on your finger are ever present. They don’t really care about what those young folks are up to (or the old folks for that matter), because they have more important things to talk about. These are the pop songs for the ones who question the point they have come to in their life, the soundtrack for after the crossroads.

The question is was I more alive than I am now?
I happily have to disagree
I cry more often now
I laugh more often now
I am more me

[mp3] Peter Bjorn & JohnObjects Of My Affection
[mp3] Peter Bjorn & JohnYoung Folks
BONUS
[mp3] Peter Bjorn & JohnYoung Folks (Beyond The Wizard’s Sleeve Re-animation)
Buy Peter Bjorn & John at eMusic.
Pre-order
Writer's Block at Amazon.

8 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Heh - did you use my format a bit? The lyrics in italics? (Or maybe I got that from you, but whatever)

Yeah, there's 2 genres of music that absolutely suck yet are flooding mainstream media - overly simplistic bubblegum pop and rap in most any form. And there's a difference between hip-hop and jazz that most these media idiots ignore and put them together. Absolutely pisses me off.

But then again, that's why there's RC, eh?

3:41 PM  
Blogger BWH999 said...

Hey Arpit, in response to the rap comment, I understand where you are coming from; however, being exposed to only commercial rap (ie Power 106) limits your experience. If the only rock music I ever heard was from Kroq, I would be tempted to say that all bands making rock/alternative music must suck.

I would ask you to explore some more underground hip hop that I believe holds the same merit as any indie band you or I might admire. The same way smaller bands are able to push genre limits, non-commercial hip hop experiments with form and leaves the "rims and grill" talk behind.

Let me know and I'll make a mix tape for you. I just think that hip hop gets a bad rap sometimes (no pun intended).

4:19 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

See that's why I said mainstream media. There's a big difference between rap and hip-hop. I listen to hip-hop with a lot of jazz roots. There's some great artists in hip hop that I like, but I'm not the biggest fan of the rap artists. I guess it's a matter of semantics.

Yeah, power106 is not my source for music and neither is kroq. I've learnt that Clear Channel can't be trusted with music. They're a social virus that society needs to be rid of. But most people don't understand that.

Btw, if you haven't heard of him, check out Floyd The Locsmif... really like his stuff.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Btw, I meant to say hip hop and rap in the first comment, in case there's any confusion about that.

8:20 AM  
Blogger BWH999 said...

"And there's a difference between hip-hop and jazz that most these media idiots ignore and put them together. Absolutely pisses me off."

Ah. That's where I got confused. Anyways I think you insired a hip hop post for next week.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Haha... glad to have. Yeah I reread it and went, 'Tobias, you blowhard' :p

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

KROQ rips! What are you talking about? And Power 106, come on. The radio is where it's at!

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

is this Martine singing?

the chick that used to sing on Tricky tracks?

1:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home