Monday, October 16, 2006

Neutral Milk Hotel: A foreign introduction

My friend wrapped his hands around my neck as I jumped from train to platform. He cradled my shoulders as we walked past all the babushkas selling sunflower seeds around the corners of the train station, scattering the pigeons that were forming in packs. My overnight train ride from Omsk to Novosibirsk had left me distorted and woozy but the glittering disc that lay in the open hands of my friend awakened my senses.

The disc, a mixtape, shimmered in the summer sun with a children’s squiggle of the words “Neutral Milk Hotel” across its face. It wouldn’t be until a few years later that my relationship with NMH would solidify into an undying love affair, one that would go into the record books as the greatest listener-musician relationship to ever grace God’s green earth, one that would put Rob Burton (from High Fidelity) to shame.

It is apparent to anyone staying afloat on the blogs that Neutral Milk Hotel continues to garner attention and popularity despite having not released anything since 1998. The mystery of if anything will ever be put out again under the NMH stamp continues to draw speculation not necessarily as a result of a question but rather a hope, a hope that continues to grow with each listen of In The Aeroplane, Over the Sea.

As kind of an ode to that hope, the Content provides you with some of our favorite NMH b-sides and unreleased goodies. Enjoy. P.S. Jeff…I miss you.

[mp3] Neutral Milk HotelEngine
[mp3] Neutral Milk HotelLittle Birds (Live)
[mp3] Neutral Milk HotelGlue
[mp3] Neutral Milk HotelBucket
[mp3] Neutral Milk HotelSailing Through (Live)

Be sure to check out Beirut and A Hawk and A Hacksaw (Jeremy Barnes from NMH) this coming Saturday. No excuses.

10/21/06 – Troubadour (Beirut, A Hawk And A Hacksaw) (tix)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this post. I only discovered "Aeroplane..." relatively recently, but it's one of those albums you feel as if you've known all your life - yet still discover something new every time you listen it. Knowing that there's a small world of rarities out there still to be discovered is a comfort.

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE the Mangum... Do you by chance in your vast collection of NMH B-Sides have "My Dream Girl Don't Exist"


I love that song, and thought I'd ask :)


karcowel@hotmail.com

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"it's one of those albums you feel as if you've known all your life"

That's a great way of putting it, I feel the same way.

As for "Dream Girl," that sounds really familiar but I am not at home at the moment. I'll check once I get off work.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Dance Hall Hips said...

Like most people I've worn my copy of Aeroplane out, so it's nice to hear some new (to me) stuff. Thanks! Plus I didn't know NMH connection to A Hawk and a Hacksaw. Double Thanks!

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

b-sides!. thank you very much. how can one not be a neutral milk hotel fan? absolutely powerful, terribly moving. and personally, i think it's great winter music. (though argueably, NMH time is anytime)

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NMH time is definately anytime. BOOM!

10:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahhhhh...NMH. One of my most treasured for always.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

How bout this one - I was getting my ticket a week ago when I realized I'm going to be across the country this weekend!

So wanted to check out Beirut.

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sucks, we'll let you know how the show is. (it's going to be good though)

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home