Monday, February 13, 2006

Things were so different as a child

No one really listens to lyrics when they're a little kid. We might know the words to every song, but transforming language into actual meaning is another story. So this little section is dedicated to songs that went from holding no significance to carrying obvious meanings.

1) "Spoon Man" - Soundgarden: This was one of my favorite songs when I was a kid, and everytime it came on the radio I'd blast the Hell out of it. The best part was that the song has no cussing so I didn't have to deal with my mom yelling at me from the driver's seat. For some reason though she always talked about how she didn't like "Spoon Man." This just really confused me. I mean what's so bad about a guy who likes to play drums with spoons. As many things do in life, one day it all clicked - heroin.

"Hands are for shaking, not tying,"

"Spoon Man, come together with your hands, save me."

Heroin spoon.

I didn't even see it coming, but how could I?

2) "Like a Prayer" - Madonna: This was not one of my favorite songs when I was a kid, but my sister loved Madonna so I heard it a little too often. She had always been painted as such a hedonistic pagan in my head, so this song seemed like a tamed down version of the 80's sex symbol. Once again the light went on and it all made sense. What the Hell is she doing on her knees anyways? And where exactly is she going to take him in the midnight hour? Finally, why is it "like a prayer?" The word "like" brings in the idea of a simile, which shows two things that look a like but are different. I already offended one person last night discussing this song - hopefully I can get a few more before the end of the day.

part 2 coming... work calls.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home