Friday, February 10, 2006

Bands to check out on myspace

Myspace Music has done wonders for getting small bands exposed to broader audiences, but it is nearly impossible to just sign on and find quality music. Here is a short list of bands and solo artist that are off the radar, but making some great music:

1) Airplanes Landing on Foreheads: So I'm totally bias since this is my roommate and co-creator of Rewriteable, but his stuff is great so you should come check it out. As of late he has taken some insane musical leaps so stay tuned for some new tunes sure to blow your socks off. Check out "Brazil" first for sure.

2) So Very Ugly: This is a band from my hometown (Orange County). They are making some great music in the vein of Seatle's The Blood Brothers. If you know me, you kn0w I love The BB so these boys are a welcome addition to my music catalogue. The best part about this band is that they don't limit their sound to one style, but seem to be constantly looking for new musical roads to travel down (i.e. Great Shave). I'm really excited to see an official release from So Very Ugly sometime soon, but for now all you get are four sweet songs.


3) The Matachine: I fell upon this band while chatting about music with Shane from So Very Ugly. Here's another group that isn't content with one sound. The 6 song EP is extremely scattered (I mean that in a good way) so it will be interesting to see what direction they take once they lay down a full LP. I hear a few different influences in their music, Black Eyes (Dischord Records) definitely being one of them.

My 4 and 5 would be Alex Gardener and Dave Robison, but neither of them have music up right now so unless you come to our Apartment Concert you'll have to wait a while to hear these fine chaps.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home