Monday, November 20, 2006

Working Out the Tension

Have you ever been massaged by music? Then I guess it's about time you were. I've compiled a playlist below, which is meant to release the stress and tension caused by daily life. I personally have major issues with tension: tight shoulders, stiff neck, crippling headaches. I blame it on LA and work. Shocking, I know. Slowly, I've found select songs that consistently cure me from life's woes.These songs (each in their own way) are able to transport my mind away from the day, and into a cloud of soundwaves.

I've broken the playlist into three sections, to offer a variety of prescriptions for your stress. The songs vary from electro dance pop to sedated acoustic melodies, depending on your attitude for the night. If you want to c
onfuse yourself, put all the songs on a playlist, and hit shuffle.

SURRENDER or How to melt into the wallpaper:
This group of tracks is meant for a night spent on the living room floor. These songs aren't here to cheer you up, or put you to sleep - they are for the numbing of the mind. We'll call it a musical lobotomy.

[mp3]
Mogwai - 1% Monster
[mp3] Grizzly Bear - Colorado
[mp3] Liars - Garden Was Crowded And Outside

RISE ABOVE or F-ck it lets have a party:
When it's time to push through the exhaustion, crack open a Sparks and get down to business, these songs will keep both body and mind in rhythm.

[mp3] Metric - Monster Hospital (MSTRKRFT remix)
[mp3] The Rapture - House of The Jealous Lovers
[mp3] Love Is All - Make Out Fall Out Make Up

DECOMPRESSION
or The rational choice for stress relief:
Consider this your middle of the week mix. Because you're not quite in the mood for a Sparks, a soothing melody becomes the perfect way to cut out the clutter of the day.

[mp3] Radiohead - Videotape
[mp3] Sufjan Stevens - Casimir Pulaski Day (live @ KCRW)
[mp3] Elliott Smith - Pitseleh

Obviously this is just a starter mix, so expand how you see fit.

Bonus Track:
Nothing puts me in a better mood than listening to Demetri Martin's comedy cd, These Are Jokes. Brilliant.

[mp3] Demetri Martin - Some More Jokes

4 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Nice. Should be good for thanksgiving - there's undoubtedly people that are stressing out.

Btw, you're in my last post Kerwin. I'm sure you remember that day too :p

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome playlist! Thanks!

3:46 PM  
Blogger Simone said...

For some reason, I've avoided listening to Grizzly Bear for ages. But that literally is like being massaged, so I might just put the effort in.
Some great songs here, thanks.

5:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for "The Rapture" song

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home