Thursday, May 18, 2006

Two Days with the radio

Due to an unexpected 2,000 car repair, I have been driving a bright blue Chevy Aveo for the last two days. It has no CD/Tape Player, no power door locks, and no power windows, but it drives like a dream. As a kid, I always wanted to be on my own during the early 1990's, and now I got to live that dream. Yesterday, Smashing Pumkins' "Today" came on KROQ as I was jamming down the 405, and for that second I had transported a decade.

The craziest part of my two day rental experience was the amount of radio I listened to. I had that dial spinning all day long, and I learned a few things:

1. The voice of Indie 103.1 is the antichrist: How F%cking laid back and cool can you possibly be. Oh wow, I don't care about anything. The guy sounds like a 35 year old wash up. "THis isss Indie 103 1, like check out these ads, they like pay for our show and stuffffff... "

2. Big Boy needs to change his name: The guy is like 150 pounds now. I wanted to win the X-Box 360, but was afraid to call in and sound like a stupid white kid. Oh well.

3. KROQ plays 5 songs: Red Hot Chili Peppers - "California is the play I love, blah" ( 5 different versions)

4. KCRW is still amazing, but could use more music: I think NPR should stick to the news and KCRW should stick to new music.

5. TURN OFF YOUR RADIOS: Unless it's KCRW/NPR, it is shit. Pure fact.

2 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

It's strangely comforting to know that radio is crap no matter where you live. It's the unifying force amongst humanity. CBC is still good, though.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Will said...

I tried listening to the radio today - Live105, our KROQ equivalent. When Sublime came on, I decided I'd had enough. Agreed, KCRW should have a 24-hour music channel on the dial.

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home