Thursday, May 11, 2006

Stop holding my songs hostage itunes!

The unthinkable has happened to me - I am no longer opposed to digital music. This is a big deal for anyone that knows me, and has seen my CD/LP collection. I like physical objects - digital booklets just don't do it for me. I have a slowly growing collection of purchased itunes music; however, this will not continue for long. I hate the fact that itunes still basically owns the songs I download. They pulled the same trickery that Bill Gates did with Windows. The "You Kind of Own It" policy.

Don't you just love keeping track of your authorized computers, and CD burns?

Once a file builds a home on my hard drive, I should own it. It's my land they're inhabiting!

Does anyone else have trouble burning purchased music onto a mix CD? Every time I put an itunes song into a mix, it refuses to burn; however, once I delete the song, it works. I know this isn't Apple protocol, but it certainly adds to my prior frustrations. Thus the big red X over the itunes symbol.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i recently experienced similar frustration trying to convert an itunes song into an mp3 so that i could upload it. i agree--i bought it, it should be mine to do with as i please. i've not had any trouble burning a purchased song onto a cd, however.

8:02 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

I've been sticking to physical music until now, as I love liner notes and cover art. But even there, I've been having issues with content protection. Very little pisses me off more!

If you are interested, a group of Canadian musicians are fighting back against digital locks and the lawsuits which have been brought against some of their fans. It's getting to be quite a lengthy list of musicians who are getting on board, too:

http://www.musiccreators.ca/

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home