Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Sunday School (Day 2)

The hardest aspect of Coachella is its greatness. I saw Metric, Wolf Parade, Bloc Party, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Mogwai, Massive Attack and Tool all in an 8 hour time period. If I caught those acts separately this year, it would be a great 2006; however, experiencing them back to back can seem less then remarkable under the wrong light. In order to appreciate such a massive event like Coachella, one must constantly remember how special an experience it is. Without that understanding, the day can just wash over you.





The highlight of my day was Wolf Parade's merge from "Runner" into "Fancy Claps." I apologize to anyone sitting front row center, who might have been injured by our spastic dancing. My body was being controlled by the beat - a la Weekend at Bernie's 2. For having a ton of tech problems, and playing a short set, I really think Wolf Parade took the cake this year. It wins my coveted "Arcade Fire Award " (stand out performance).


Another great moment came when Karen O changed the set list and played "Art Star." Earlier in the set, I thought about how pretentious it would sound to scream "play Art Star," like I only was into the obscure B-sides. However, I did genuinely want to hear it, so it put a large smile on my face when I heard "I've been working on a piece that speaks of sex and desperation..."


I can't remember any of Mogwai, because they melted my brain. Literally. I'm not kidding, it started dripping out of my ear.

I spent the Massive Attack set lying on the grass among a sea of hostel legs. Jon almost got his face smashed by a size 12, but I pulled him out of the way just in time.


Oh, Tool. How long has our love affair been? 7-8 years? Anyway, I have been to a lot of Tool shows, and have never been disappointed. This is not to say that I was let down at Coachella; however, it has been a long time, and some of my obsession has left me. They played a flawless set, with a talkative Maynard, and some crazy videos; yet, the 20 hour weekend and enormous crowd, made the experience a little less than magical. "Aenima" still knocked the wind out of me, and "Vicarious" was great live. I thought "The Patient" was an odd choice for such a short set, but "Lateralus" made up for it. Maynard called us all fuckers for downloading the CD early, and wished a flood upon LA for being a city full of VIPs. Thank God for that. Wash it all away...


Can't wait for Coachella 2007.

We are reporting this backwards, so Day 1 is still to come. Memento?

2 Comments:

Blogger Will said...

If you're not spastic dancing ... you should be hanging out in the back. Yeah, Coachella is a total blast ... sad to have missed this one.

8:27 AM  
Anonymous xlpharmacy said...

the concert was so cool, the ambient was the ideal to have a real good time, by the way, do you know where and when we gonna enjoy again a event like this?

6:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home