Friday, September 22, 2006

Ratatat emerge from the fog

It has recently come to my attention that I attend an unhealthy amount of shows. I know that sounds lame, and potentially like self-flattery; however, I promise you it is nothing of the sort. I'm just starting to lose that innocent joy surrounding live music. However, there's a glimmer of hope coming from all this - I swear.

When I arrive at the Troubadour on Wednesday night, I met up with my friend Rob, who had driven down from Ventura and was more than excited about the impending show. Thank God for his excitement, because it helped transport me back to that pure state of being. It also brought back memories from an old Jimmy Eat World concert housed under the same roof. So, yeah, that was my experience prior to Ratatat's emergence. Jammed packed with action, to say the least!

Now it was time to turn the fog machines to 11, and prepare for something great. Ratatat swam onto the stage through a sea of smoke and light, and got right down to the business of gettin' down. My earlier claim of mandatory dancing was somewhat overstated, due to the mesmerizing component of Ratatat. I'm not one to boast about virtuosity, but the guitar work during their set was jaw dropping. At one point I started to laugh just to release some of the overflowing joy. The set was evenly divided between hypnotizing melodies and back breaking basslines.

The highlight of the night was, of course, "Seventeen Years," which jump-started the entire room into a Euro dance party. I want to sneak that song into a retirement village, and see who gets out of their wheelchairs to start dancing. In a close second was "Loud Pipes," which is found on Ratatat's new album Classics. If you don't already own Classics, buy it here.

More Ratatat talk here.

I give the bandana boys in front of me MVP awards for best dance moves. You know who you are.

[mp3] Ratatat - Wild Cat
[mp3] Ratatat - Loud Pipes

Bonus track:

[mp3]
Ratatat - El Pico

(Photo Cred)

3 Comments:

Anonymous NB said...

The show was amazing. Anyone else think that their set was a tad short, though? 2-3 more songs would have been nice.

1:07 PM  
Blogger the_KING said...

I thought the length was perfect. I hate long sets and I think that it is good that you still wanted more. It was an amazing show and had me turning up Ratatat as I walked around the city.

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Arpit Mehta said...

http://www.btyahoo.com/dma06/peopleschoice - register for best music blog. I would so vote for you guys!

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home